Family...the ones you live with, laugh with, and love

Family...the ones you live with, laugh with, and love
Summer 2009

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Surgery went well

Tuesday I went to the hospital for my surgery. I was very nervous despite the fact so many people told me that this surgery is no big deal. Surgery to me is always a big deal. We had to be at the hospital at 8am so it was an early morning trying to get the kids to my mom's house so she could take them to school. Good thing for grandma living pretty close. I don't know what I would do without her.
Most of the day we spent just waiting for the doctor. It seems like waiting is always the hardest part. Around 10:30am he came and injected a radioactive tracer that would be used for the biopsy. We had to let the tracer circulate for 2 hours, so more waiting. At 1:00pm I was finally taken back for surgery. I was so happy I was asleep for all of it. I don't like knowing what the doctors are doing. The surgery lasted for about 1 1/2 hours. I remember waking up around 3pm asking for my husband. I also had such a sore throat from the tube during anesthesia. Everything went well. The doctor had placed the port and removed 3 lymph nodes. But ouch I am sore! Sore on the right from the biopsy incision and sore on the left from the port incision. Good thing for pain medication. I stayed in recovery for a few more hours and then went home that evening around 7:30 pm. It has been a long, hard week. I never thought it would take so much out of me. Our ward has been so kind bringing in meals. My mom has been so good helping with the kids. Steve has been the best husband ever doing everything for me. I am very lucky. Tomorrow I have an echo cardiogram scheduled to make sure my heart is strong enough for chemo. It is also Maddie's 6th birthday. I never thought this is how we would be spending her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment