Family...the ones you live with, laugh with, and love

Family...the ones you live with, laugh with, and love
Summer 2009

Friday, January 1, 2010

First Doctor Visit

I first noticed a large mass or a thickening on my right breast last June. I did go to a doctor to have it checked. He didn't seem concerned and told me that cancer didn't start that big and that it was probably some sort of fatty tissue. He advised me to go in and have it checked with a mammogram but because I am not 40 and mammograms are not part of a regular checkup yet, the hospital gave me some hassle. I decided I didn't have time for this and so I put it to the back of my list of priorities. However it has always weighed on my mind that something was not quite right.

In December I decided to go into my regular doctor and have another exam. My sister works for my OB so I called her and told her I was coming in for a check up. She seemed a little surprised to see me. She probably thought that I was going to tell her I was pregnant. But I told her that I had this weird area that needed to be checked. I really just wanted to hear again that it was nothing to worry about. The doctor did another exam and said he didn't feel anything suspicious and he thought was nothing to be concerned with. I did feel a little relieved but I think it was the concerned look on my face and me repeating "really...just check right here again." that he decided to have me go in for a mammogram. I still couldn't get away from this feeling that it wasn't o.k. and that there was more to it. Besides that is how the game is played right?! So my sister helped me set up the dreaded mammogram appointment for January 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment